The 1st and the only Institute in India to provide Laparoscopic services to all pathologies of the hepatobiliary system including benign condition like Choledochal cyst, hydatid cyst and also malignancies like cholangiocarcinoma, cancer pancreas etc.
Hepato Pancreato Biliary Surgery
Prof. C. Palanivelu has the distinction of being the second surgeon in the world to perform unique Laparoscopic Whipple’s operation, also called a pancreaticoduodenectomy. GEM Center for Liver and Pancreas at GEM Hospital and Research Center, India has performed the largest numbers of laparoscopic Whipple’s procedures in the world. With liver transplantation emerging to be standard a care for chronic liver disease, GEM is currently the only centre to offer laparoscopic donor hepatectomy in the country. This reduces the risk associated with the donor surgery, the live person who donates a part of the liver, enabling early recovery. It is the best center for Pancreatic Cancer surgery and Liver Cancer and Transplantation in India.
The 1st and the only Institute in India to provide Laparoscopic services to pathologies of the hepatobiliary system including benign condition like Choledochal cyst, hydatid cyst and also malignancies like cholangiocarcinoma, cancer pancreas etc. Indeed, Prof. C. Palanivelu is the 2nd person in the world to perform Laparoscopic Whipples operation and the institute has the highest series of this type of surgeries as per published data.
- 10th IHPBA Conference FEB 2013
- Pancreatic Cancer WEB Conference on Au8 2016
- IASGCON: ISLPR OCT 2016
- Minimally Invasive pancreatic Surgery Course Apr 2014
- IHPBA Certificaate Course Aug 2015
- HPB Course MAR 2015
- HPB Certificate Course Aug 2017
- Over 500 surgeries performed for pancreatic cancer.
- Largest series of Laparoscopic Whipple’s surgery for pancreatic cancer in the world.
- First totally laparoscopic pancreaticoduodenectomy performed for pancreatic cancer in the world- 1998.
- Presented video of totally laparoscopic whipple’s procedure at WCES, Singapore and Atlanta, USA as early as year 2000 which was an eye- opener for pancreatic surgeon’s across the globe.
- Awarded “International Olympic silver medal” for Laparoscopic Whipple’s procedure for pancreatic cancer.
- First major publication on laparoscopic surgery for pancreatic cancer in the year 2007 in JACS and year 2009 in JHPBS.
- Laparoscopic Whipple’s procedure performed for the youngest child in the world and published in 2014.
- First centre to publish long term outcomes and survival rates following laparoscopic pancreaticoduodenectomy in the world in the year 2015.
- Awarded “Best paper” at IHPBA, Sao Paulo in April 2016 for a study comparing outcomes of open vs laparoscopic surgery for pancreatic cancer.
- Conducted the landmark International summit for pancreatic surgeons in October 2016 and drafted “Coimbatore summit statements” which serve as recommendations for safe laparoscopic pancreatic cancer surgery for surgeons across the globe.
- Awarded “Best poster” for artery first approach in laparoscopic pancreaticoduodenectomy at APHPBA, Yokohama- June 2017
- First RCT across globe on Laparoscopic vs open pancreatic cancer surgery published in the prestigious BJS journal in October 2017.
- Performed Robotic whipples procedure on the youngest patient (14 years) in the world.
- Longest survivor following laparoscopic Whipple procedure in the world
- Laparoscopic/Single Incision Cholecystectomy (GallStone Disease)
- Laparoscopic Radical Cholecystectomy for Gall bladder Malignancy
- Laparoscopic Hydatid Cyst liver Excision
- Laparoscopic Choledochal Cyst Excision
- Laparoscopic Hepatectomy
- Laparoscopic Splenectomy
- Laparoscopic Cystogastrostomy and Cystojejunostomy
- Laparoscopic Distal Pancreatectomy
- Laparoscopic Whipple’s Operation Laparoscopic Surgery for Chronic Pancreatitis
- Laparoscopic Single Incision Pancreatic Surgery
- Laparoscopic Pancreatic Cancer Surgery
- Robotic surgeries for HPB disorders