The name GEM Hospital was derived from Gastroenterology and Medical Centre and true to its name.
Institute of Gastrointestinal Endo-Surgery
About Prof C Palanivelu
Chairman - GEM Hospitals
Development of Laparoscopic Surgery in India
Dr Palanivelu was first to introduce Iaparoscopic surgery in south India. He was instrumental in popularizing this new branch of medicine in India. He applied Iaparoscopic technique to all types of surgery including cancer surgery.
Born in a poor family of agricultural workers, he completed primary education overcoming great difficulties. But this motivated him to do service to the poor through free medical camps and treating thousands of poor patients. He also trained hundreds of rural surgeons.
Laparoscopic Revolution – A must for India
Laparoscopic surgery is beneficial to all sections of society as they recover quickly from surgery without pain and go back to work early. Making it possible to provide Laparoscopic surgery at affordable cost through his innovations has been the essence of his contribution to Medicine.
Held in High esteem by peers
He has been a great teacher and guiding force to all Laparoscopic surgeons and was accorded the title of “Beeshmacharya
Quality, safety, and security
Bed strength at Coimbatore
The initial bed strength at Coimbatore was 100 and in 2008, another block of 100 beds were added to cater to the ever-increasing demand. Various facilities were being added one after the other keeping pace with this rapidly expanding field. As a result of these concrete and concentrated efforts, GEM Hospital earned a worldwide reputation in no time and continued to march towards its quest for quality gastro care. Not a year passed off without a major milestone being added to this illustrious journey in the world of minimally invasive surgery.
Awards and Achievement
Dr BC Roy National Awardee 2006 and 2015
- Award by House of Commons, UK Parliament 2018 for contribution to the development of Laparoscopic surgery.
- First Indian to win Silver Medal in International Olympic Minimal Access Surgery competition.
- Best Technique Award for Cancer Esophagus, 10th International Society of Disease of Esophagus, Japan, 2010
- Innovated over 20 new operative techniques.
- Authored many books in surgery which are of International repute.
- Life Time Achievement Award of District Rotary Coimbatore, 2012
- First Indian surgeon who was accorded the privilege to operate and teach in various countries including UK, USA, Hong Kong, Argentina etc.
- “Living Legend of Laproscopy Award” by New York City Council & New York Tamil Sangam 2012.