MS, MCh, DNB, FACS, FRCS(Hon) Ed.,
Dr. C. Palanivelu
- Chairman – GEM Hospital and Research Centre
- Professor & Director – Institute of Gastroenterology & Minimal Access Surgery
- Managing Trustee – GEM Digestive Diseases Foundation – Charitable Trust
Dr BC Roy National Awardee 2006 and 2015
under the category of development of specialty medicine namely laparoscopic surgery in 2006 and eminent medical person in 2015. This rare honour of having this award twice is a testimony to his achievement.
Award by House of Commons, UK Parliament 2018
For his orginal contribution to development of Laparoscopic surgery, the only Indian to receive this honour.
First Indian to win Silver Medal
in the international Olympic minimal access surgery competition in 2009 in Phoenix USA.
Innovated over 20 new operative techniques
which are considered world’s best and the videos of these procedures are included in the teaching resources of American College of Surgeons, American gastrointestinal SAGES university, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburg, Korean, Chinese and Japanese universities.
Authored many books in surgery
which are of international repute. For the first time in Indian medical history, his books got published in various languages – Spanish, Chinese, Korean etc.
First Indian surgeon
who was accorded the privilege to operate and teach in various countries including UK, USA, Hong Kong, Argentina etc.
Social and Community service
Understanding the plight of the economically backward, Dr Palanivelu strives hard to make Laparoscopy available for all. This is done through:
GEM Digestive Diseases Foundation and Charitable Trust
- To serve the needy and economically backward common public.Conduction of 65 in house periodic free medical camps.
- Bearing of all the medical expenses.
- Provision of high tech medical facilities and treatment at free / affordable cost.
- Served 43,225 of patients till now 2,777 of free laparoscopic surgeries.
- Financial assistance for poor students to persuade education
Free Medical ward at GEM Hospital
- 20 beds exclusively to cater medical services including laparoscopic surgeries free of cost forthe needy people.
GEM Mobile Clinic
“To reach the unreachable”
- Conduction of free medical camps in rural areas.
- Early detection of diseases.
- Awareness creation in public health issues.
- Incorporates eminent expert team of doctors.
- Equipped with modern scientific tools.
- Facilitated with laboratory, ultrasonology and endoscopy.
- Free checkup, free treatment.
Establishment of first Preventive gastroenterology Clinic
- To create awareness among the public in prevention.
- Obesity Awareness – Mini Marathon
- For early detection
- For health education
- Cancer screening
- Obesity clinic
- To make everyone realize “Prevention is better than cure”.
- Health care awareness creation via lectures, meetings and media – journals, dailies, magazines and television.
- A serial of lectures in Doordarshan – “Vayirae Nalama”, 2005
- Major issues for discussion on Obesity and GI Malignancies aiming Prevention and early detection, cure.
- Public health education.
- Periodic Hepatitis-B Awareness and free vaccination programmes every year one month in August.
GEM Nursing Education
- For brilliant, poor female students food, accommodation, college fees and transport are all made free for studying B.Sc Nursing.
Achievement and Awards
- “Best Doctor Award” by TamilNadu Government, 2011
- Life Time Achievement Award, Association of surgeons of India 2007, Bhubaneswar, Orissa.
- Life Time Achievement Award of District Rotary Coimbatore, 2012
- Vocational excellence award of Rotary International, 2011
- “For The Sake of Honour Award” 2009 by Mount Rotary Chennai, 2009
- “Bheeshmacharya award” by Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India during the Annual conference AMASICON 2012, Coimbatore 2012
- The Award of “Brand Ambassador of Coimbatore” by The Indian chamber of Commerce and Industry Coimbatore, 2012
- Honorary Fellowship conferred by Latin American old University, First Indian Honored in Latin America
- “Living Legend of Laproscopy Award” by New York City Council & New York Tamil Sangam 2012.
- Olympic Silver Medal, in International Olympic Surgery, Phoniex, USA, 2009.
- Fellowship Ad Hominem Award, by Royal college of Surgeons of Edinburgh – the highest honour of the college, United Kingdom. 2003
- Best Technique Award for Cancer Esophagus, 10th International Society of Disease of Esophagus, Japan, 2010
- Best Video Award, European Association of Endoscopic Surgeons, 16th Annual Conference at Stockholm, Sweden 2008
- Best Video Award, Annual conference of ‘American College of Surgeons, San Francisco, 2008
- Best Paper Award, 16th World Congress of Laparoscopic and m AEndoscopic Surgery in 1998 at Rome, Italy
- Best International Video Award, Annual Congress of America College of Surgeons, New Orleans, USA, 2007.
- SAGES Awards from the ‘Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons’ for the three consecutive years in recognition of his meritorious innovations (2003, 2004 & 2005)